I’d always liked the idea of Google’s Chrome’s ability to sync (and, essentially, back up) bookmarks, preferences and applications across multiple installations of Chrome…but I could never get it to work. The preferences said that everything was backed up, but man…it was so not.
I thought I’d give it another try again, and this time it worked. I don’t know if it was just this fix or this combined with a fix in the browser by Google, but here’s what I did:
- Turned off sync in the Google dashboard
- Turned off sync on both installations of Chrome that I wanted to sync (one Mac and one Windows)
- On my netbook (Windows), I deleted all the bookmarks I had there and closed Chrome
- On my main computer (Mac), I turned sync back on and let it finish.
- On my netbook, I turned sync back on and let it finish.
….and that did it. About time, too.